Education Manager/Director of Education
The Central Florida Zoo & Botanical Gardens is seeking energetic, innovative Zoo Educators to join our growing Education Department. This position has primary responsibility for the execution of the following programs:
- Outreach – Educational programming with our education collection Animal Ambassadors at off-site locations such as libraries, schools, special events, etc.
- Animal Encounter – Daily scripted educational programming with our education collection Animal Ambassadors on-site for scheduled groups.
Regular workdays may be Monday through Saturday. A typical day may include teaching, program development, animal handling, and other duties as assigned. Must successfully pass a background check.
The pay rate is $9.00 per hour during training with an increase to $10.00 per hour upon completion of training.
Qualifications and Responsibilities:
- Comfortable with public speaking, including speaking with a microphone or loud speaker
- Ability to operate as a member of large, diverse team
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work irregular hours (weekends, evenings, and holidays)
- Ability to work special events and functions as required
Education and Experience:
Possess a bachelor’s degree with a strong background in biology, zoology, or life science. Worked for a minimum of one year as a teacher with children in an informal setting (zoo, museum, nature center, parks department, etc.). Experience utilizing animals in program settings is preferred.
- Education: Associate’s degree (preferred)
- Experience: 1 year of teaching (preferred)
- Ability to respond to common inquiries, requests, or complaints from guests and/or staff in a courteous manner.
- Must be able to communicate with guests and staff clearly and effectively.
- Multilingual is a plus.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations:
- Valid Florida State drivers license.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the following have been identified as physical requirements of the job:
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, stand for long periods of time, and drive Zoo vehicles.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee is frequently required to use hands and fingers to handle, reach or feel, and manipulate objects or controls. The employee is frequently required to sit, walk distances, climb, balance, stoop, bend, kneel, and crouch. Several job functions of this position are performed in confined areas.
- The employee must be able to stand for long periods of time and traverse Zoo grounds.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The majority of duties are performed outdoors in various weather conditions, ranging from rain, wind, cool to cold weather, and extreme heat and humidity. It is possible the employee will be exposed to dust and harsh chemicals that may present a health hazard if not handled properly. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The Central Florida Zoological Society, Inc. (CFZS) reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This job description pertains to an “at will” position with the CFZS and in no way constitutes a written or implied contract of employment.
To apply, please visit our listing on Indeed.com.
The Central Florida Zoological Society, Inc. (CFZS) is an equal opportunity employer and makes decisions related to compensation and all terms, conditions, or privileges of employment on the basis of merit. Company policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, sex (including pregnancy), gender orientation, religion, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristic, military status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. All such discrimination is unlawful and prohibited by the CFZS.