Human Resources Internship Summary:
Interns will work with the Human Resources Manager at the Central Florida Zoo & Botanical Gardens to assist with providing administration/HR support to the Human Resources Manager in regards to the organizational task, resume review, on-boarding tasks, recruitment, systems management, etc., and other HR processes. This will help enable the mission of the department– creating a positive and empowered culture environment, developing leadership into an efficient & effective force, and remain innovative for all personal needs, enabling our staff to aid in the conservation of wildlife.
The HR Intern will help with various HR functions by learning how to review candidate resumes and match them to our needs, and organizes, create and file confidential personnel documents, manage various systems and learn the inner workings of the day to day HR functionalities.
Internship Job Description:
This is a list of potential tasks and duties. New tasks may be assigned as needed, in accordance with the goals and requirements of the internship.
- Assist with day-of operations for Human Resources Manager(must practice discretion due to the contact of pertinent personnel paperwork.)
- Organize, label, file and upload various documents, creating a proper system of filing.
- Assist with the collection of staff compliance documents.
- Assist with scanning documents and preparing spreadsheets.
- Assist with staff personnel files, including new starter file setups, filing and archiving.
- Assist Human Resources Manager with the revisions of Manuals, Policies and Safety tasks.
- Work closely with Human Resources Manager to assist in other HR administrative tasks and projects.
- Assist with contacting various candidates to pre-screen each individual against opening criteria.
- Coordinate possible interviews with HR. Managers schedule and book appointment times.
- Create new documents dictated by HR Manager (dictations may be verbal or drafted).
- Excellent customer service with critical thinking and troubleshooting skills.
- Detail oriented, well organized and dependable.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Understands and supports the mission of the Central Florida Zoo & Botanical Gardens to be a conservation resource providing experiences that excite and inspire children and adults to learn and act on behalf of wildlife.
- Willingness to learn and a positive attitude.
- Trustworthy, with a willingness to learn HR procedures.
Skills & Requirements:
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others are consistent with these standards and align with the values of the organization.
- Build relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Communicate effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Experience in records management and general office administration skills is desirable.
- Basic research skill and an eye for detail.
- Basic proficiency in MS Office or similar software and experience using databases.
- Organizational and time management skills.
- Relevant qualifications or anyone who is studying human resources or have experience with office administration.
- 1 or more years of college courses.
- Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday availability is preferred.
- Must provide negative drug screen results.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 25-40 lbs.
- Interns generally work 2-3 office days-per-week.
Here are some of the skills we hope you will use and develop further during your internship.
- Build credibility and trust among employees. Resolve employee concerns through compassion, a systematic approach, clear documentation, and follow-through.
- Collaborating with the tracking of exempt and non-exempt requisitions and is a liaison between the hiring manager and recruiter throughout the hiring process from beginning to end.
- Coordinating and executing new hire on-boarding & post-boarding processes for our employees which includes but are not limited to: (New Hire orientation/tour, I-9 forms, handbook & policy updates, update organizational charts, on-boarding binder, creation/maintenance of file)
- Maintaining and updating the department Knowledge Base (Shared Drive) to ensure there is a logical order of all HR related documents in addition to update and create forms as necessary
- Ensure all Bulletin Boards are updated with Federal/State/EEO required posters. Supports the HR team in special projects and/or assignments
- Accurately process HR entry transactions (profiles) including new hires, terminations, transfers, promotions, equity, etc.
- HR planning – assisting in different aspects of the many different types of HR functionalities that the Zoo is involved with, from planning to execution
- Organization/Data Analysis – assisting with recording and tracking various statistics for the Zoo
- Time management – everyone at the Zoo does a lot of a little bit of everything… you will too!
- Flexibility – work with a variety of people with different styles, adapt quickly to new tasks
- Complete Online Internship Application, please providing your name contact information, availability, education background and educational career path.
- Submit a cover letter. The cover letter must include: Term for which you are applying. Why you are applying for this internship. What makes you a good candidate for this internship?
- Two letters of recommendation (Letters of recommendation may be submitted by the applicant or the reference; however, the applicant’s name should appear in the subject line).
- E-mail all materials to email@example.com by the deadline date.
- Submit all required documents in PDF or Microsoft Word.
- Eligible applicants will be contacted.